Monday, September 12, 2005

Purple Alligators

They come in the night, in my dreams. Have done for years now. And as time has gone by so they've gotten faster, more intelligent and deadlier. Purple fricking alligators!! *pause for anyone reading this to have a WTF??? moment*

All done? Good. Allow me to explain. For several years now I have had a recurring nemesis in my dreams, or to be more accurate nemesi (I think thats how the plural of nemesis is spelt anyway). These recurring foes are... well they're alligators, four shortish legs, big tail, big teeth lined jaws, covered in scales, and they like the water. Only these ones have purple scales. And they're fast, oh boy are they fast! Linford Christie dreams of being able to run as fast as these things move. What's more they can walk on their hind legs, they can talk (though they rarely bother to do so), and they are damnably good martial artists. You wouldn't think an alligator would be good at martial arts but these ones are, and they can really put those tails to use!

All in all a pretty formidible set of adversaries. As far as I can tell there are no fixed number of them and they all appear to be identical... and they all want to kill me. They cannot be reasoned or negotiated with, they have no qualms about killing anyone and anything in their path to get at me (I've seen a couple ex-girlfriends get torn apart in a variety of very gruesome ways many many times). They also appear anywhere, in any dream, whatever it is about. I can be Indiana Jones, James Bond, a Stormtrooper, hacking my way through some dragons lair, reading a book by the lake... you name it. These vicious killers have an innate habit of turning up and turning any dream into a brutal battle for survival. Mine.

Don't get me wrong, I kill plenty of them, thats the great thing about dreams, if you want a Quad Barrelled FragMaster 4000 cannon, you just get one. Doesn't help though. They die in droves sometimes, but there are always more of them. Other times there will just be one of them and it's up close and personal for a kung fu fight that would put those in the Bourne movies to shame. And they've gotten me. A few times now I've suddenly jolted awake, drenched in sweat, as a serrated jaw tears the life out of my dream self.

They don't turn up in every dream though, usually no more often than 2-3 times a week and never when I nap in the afternoons oddly enough. Also, while I am kinda curious as to what these imaginary creatures mean, in the sense that dreams have meaning, I don't want them gone. They keep things interesting!

No comments: