Sunday, September 04, 2005

The Elusive Novel

Those who know me REALLY well will probably remember me at some time or another mentioning the novel I started writing a few years back and then gave up on once I reached page 50ish after I read back through it, and realised a few fundamental truths about it:

1: It had no emotional involvement, and stupid me had decided to write it from a 3rd person perspective (don't ask me why, to this day I honestly have no idea why I chose to write this way), which meant that the reader was completely detached from what the main character (a woman by the name of Emma Hoessan) was going through.

2: While the plot was okay, it could have been better developed, less hurried in some places, more so in others.

3: Description, description, description... or rather the lack of it. Tonnes of really pretty bad dialogue bolted together by passages of description as short and uninteresting as could be. Seems the only description I used, was for where she was going and what was happening, never where she was, what she could see, hear, smell, feel, or what anyone actually looked like! I mean yikes!

So I'm going to have another go at writing this thing. I'm not sure when exactly, right now is kinda hectic. But if the past year running my D&D campaign has taught me anything it's that I can write a plot, I can manage a story and make changes to it if needed. I can bring a story to life, create characters that stick in the mind and get an emotional reaction. It is said that there is a good book in everyone. sometime soon, I'm going in search of mine again!

No comments: