Wednesday, September 28, 2005

All The Fun Of The Fair

Got away from my computer desk for a few hours tonight to pay a visit to Bridgewater Fair (Bridgewater being a town about 25 mins drive away, that is full of cheap housing. When people in my town want to feel good about themselves they can console themseves with the thought that no matter how bad life might be, at least they aren't living in Bridgewater!) Still they have a fair, we don't, so off we went.

We being: my friends Richard Adams and Mads Bak (who is also my ex-brother-in-law to be), who headed up to the Morrisons store there in Richard's car, to park and rendezvous with some colleagues from work, namely Dan Shapter, Lyndsey Shopland and Martin Kertai of the bakery, and Jeannette Poole of the cake shop. Together we valiant (and very fast walking) seven headed to the fair which was a short distance away, having to first traverse the road leading to it, which was lined with stalls selling all manner of household goods, knick knacks, trinkets, as well as food and drink. I counted 3 fortune tellers caravans too, not that I was tempted by them. I've visited 2 palm readers years ago, both said I'd be dead by the age of 21. I'm 30 in january!

By the time we got to the fair the sky was dark with the onset of night, as well as thick roiling clouds overhead, and periodically throughout the evening it would chuck it down with rain, much to my delight but clearly not the girls, who eagerly sought an awning to shelter under. I'm not one for rides, I really don't have the stomach for it. It's not a fear issue, the rides look thrilling, I'd love to try them (well okay some of them, no way in hell would I ever go in the Bungee Cage, especially at £10 a go!). It's just I get horribly travel sick, always have done, I turn a very pale shade, break out in a cold weat, and get violently sick, which sounds funny I know. Only when I'm on my knees rectching it really isn't, it is very painful, and not an experience that I consider to be part of a good night out.

Still was fun to watch and listen to Lyndsey, Jeannette and Dan go on the rides, and I did go on the Dodgems. Gotta love bumper cars, and it was the guys ride, the girls sitting that one out and watching from the sidelines as we smashed into each other. And I got to sample food from some of the many food vendors, my main reason for going, though I wish I had tried something from the Red Dragon noodle bar there, and in hindsight the Costa coffee I bought was actually pretty yuck.

Would be nice to have had a lot more money too. I would have loved to have brought home the dragon statuette that was holding a mirror that Richard, Mads and I spotted on a side stall on the access road. Ohh well, maybe by next year I'll be rich... somehow. While my cough has gotten worse from being out in the cold and the wet (even with drinking an entire bottle of Veno's cough medicine), I have had a good night out in good company. Not that often I can say that on a Wednesday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Jeannette spelt with two n's or 1, because there is a spelling discrepency? Could you be more consistant in the future?

Anonymous said...

This is an official notice from Dan Shapter's fanclub; it has been brought to our attention he was recently classed as 'my mate Dan' and 'd&d buddy', but now he has been moved to colleague from the bakery. This abuse and ill treatment of Dan Shapter is unforgiveable.

Anonymous said...

wow i have a fan club :)


i never knew that

wonder who's in it?

Brakkart said...

Thanks for pointing out the typo with regards to the spelling of Miss Poole's name, fixed that now.