Thursday, September 08, 2005

Out On The Town

I'm debating whether to go out tonight. I have the money, thats not an issue. no, my indecision is based on not wanting a repeat of what always happens. Let me run you through the usual routine night out on the tiles for me:

I'll do what anyone does, shower, shave, get dressed in some nice clothes, dab on aftershave, spray with deodorant, comb hair etc etc. Finally look in the mirror and try to convince myself that I look okay.

So then I'll go to a bar (incidentally this is the routine for when I go out on my own, as would the case tonight) and buy a drink, and if there's a vacant seat I'll park myself in it and I'll drink. And I'll probably buy another drink and maybe a third before deciding that this pub isn't where I want to be. So I'll leave and outside in the night air, seeing gorgeous women walking around in thier party clothes, none of whom spare me so much as a glance I'll get a bit depressed. Plus, by this time I've liklely got the munchies anyway.

Off to KFC I go and buy a couple mini fillets, which I'll take out and eat just down the street at the benches beside Littlewoods. Sitting by myself, feeding my face I'll start feeling just a teeny bit sorry for myself. So anyway, with that niggling at the back of my mind, I'll go in search of another pub. And I'll search, and search and keep searching, wandering forlornly around the town centre like a little lost sheep, because all the pubs have bouncers on the door in this town, but it's not them that deter me, ohh no, I'm dressed in smart casual clothes with good shoes and I'm about the most unthreatening looking bloke in all of creation.

Nope, it's the music that drives me away. The goddamn awful music that blares out through the doorways as the door is opened. There are about 2 places in Taunton that I like (Remedies and Yate's), and both of them have as many bad nights as good ones. Which is a shame because they are also about the only places that ever play the kind of music I like to get up and dance too (I LOVE to dance).

So after a half hour of wandering about and inventing excuses not to give place after place a try, I'll get bored/depressed/miserable (delete as applicable) and head for home, getting back hours before I intended too and quite alone.

While tonight is my best bet to go out as I have no work tomorrow and Thursdays is a popular night to go to the pubs and clubs in this town, so there will be a good crowd (or there usually is anyway), part of me wants to go and give it another try. Most of me cynically says "why bother?". People are always telling me that I'll never meet anyone unless I go out, and I know they are right. But when I go out I never meet anyone anyway. Ever feel like you're invisible? That is exactly how I feel whenever I go out. I just don't know what to do.

No comments: