Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I Love This Time Of Night

It's coming up to 3am here in the UK and for the past couple hours I've been merrily chatting away (sometimes heatedly) on MSN with a new acquaintance. And she's had to log off now, so I've made myself a pint of coffee and I'm sat her writing, slurping from it now and then and just enjoying the quiet.

The road outside is quiet. It's a main road, and it's usually choked with slow moving traffic for hours every morning and evening, and the people in their cars and trucks like to peer up at my bay window and stare at me sat here. So I often have the curtains shut during the daytime. I could put up net curtains, but in truth I really hate the look of them and how they get dirty easily and they're a pain in the ass to wash. So I veil myself off from the world, as everyone values some privacy, I'm no different. But right now, save for a rare vehicle the road is empty and quiet, lit by streetlights so it glows a friendly shade of yellow amist the murky shadows. And so my curtains are open.

The house is quiet. I have two housemates, they are both in work tomorrow and are both asleep. No sounds of TV from Tony's lair on the top floor, no sounds of aliens or monsters dying on Gareth's computer from downstairs as he frags and blasts his way through Star Wars: Galaxies or Everquest. No sound from the kitchen, nothing save the tapping of my fingers on the keyboard.

The pub next door is quiet. When we first moved in here it was a case of "Great, we're 3 bachelors living next door to a pub. How cool is that, easy staggering distance". That feeling didn't last long, we quickly learned from the looks we got when we went in that we weren't this pubs type of clientele, for starters we're all 30 or younger (or were at the time), and the crowd in there definately has 5-10 years minimum on us. And then theres the music... the bloody awful music. Karaoke on Monday Nights. Some gawd awful country band on Wednesday Nights (their repeat performers are Hoppy Horton and the Saggy Bottom Boys. I kid you not!). A "fun" Quiz Night on Thursdays that in the few times we entered it not one team got above 50% of the points. My team at University won the pub quiz league 3 terms running. I have an A-Level in General Studies which is basically like having a qualification in Trivial Pursuit. I'm good at pub quizzes, so believe me when I say that it is a VERY bad quiz! And then to cap it all off, a live band on Friday and Saturday Nights, playing til midnight. But right now, they are quiet.

So I'm sat here, drinking coffee, pouring out my thoughts via my keyboard and smiling, because I'm not normally awake at this time, but I sure wish I was. If I ever win the lottery I'm going to turn nocturnal!

No comments: