Friday, November 11, 2005

Thank You Guilt!!

I was late to work this morning. not really late, they didn't have to phone to wake me or anything like that. But, I was suppossed to be in work at 8am this morning. At 8am on the dot I woke up and sat bolt upright in bed as a guilt trip from hell woke me up. I knew instantly that I was late for work, before I could even see my alarm clock, (which I keep on the other side of my bedroom, so that I have to get up in order to turn it off). I know I couldn't see the alarm clock, because without my glasses on everything beyond a couple feet is a bit of a blur at best. Still, with glasses on a few moments later, I confirmed what I already knew. I had forgotten to set my alarm clock last night.

Still I was in work for 8:20am, unshaven, but otherwise presentable. And I was in the Admin office to open it up before the store opened at 8:30am. Had to stay on 20 mins at the end of the shift though to make up the lost time, but considering how many times I have been late to work in the past I am used to that.

I am glad I was in work today. Today is Armistice Day, and it was my job to make the announcements over the store tannoy system that the store would cease trading at 11am to observe a two minute silence in rememberance. A normal tannoy announcement is about two lines long, this was from a script sent by Head Office and was five lines in length. So I rehearsed it a few times in the run up to 10:45am, when the annoucements would begin every 5 mins, to alert customers to what was about to happen.

I am so very glad I didn't screw it up, and I received a fair few compliments from other members of staff throughout the day, for a job well done. Especially from the older members of staff. I get to do that again on Sunday, for Rememberance Day, as while the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month commerates the end of World War 1, so Rememberance Sunday is to remember the dead of every war, that has been fought in the name of defending this country. There is very little about myself that I am proud of, but I am proud that I got to play that small part today.

No comments: