Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A Poem By My Ex

I got sent this poem in a letter that was hand written by my ex-girlfriend Dana while she was in tears. She was crying because she'd received a letter from me that morning in which I'd poured out my feelings as we had broken up. We were writing to one another as we lived (and still do) about 100 miles apart. We had split up over online roleplay, a virtual life being allowed to impose itself over reality. Silly of us both I suppose, now that I look back on it. We had met in a Gorean chatroom, where my character had captured and enslaved hers.

And we talked on MSN and ICQ and our relationship became more based on our knowledge of each other in this world. I remember that as time went on, I would talk and talk and she loved to just listen while I rambled on. And that annoyed me, because I got less and less in return. At times it felt like I was talking to a wall for all the response I would get back. I think more than anything else that is what led to our first break-up which spurred this poem. I love this poem, and I loved her. We don't talk anymore, the last few times we did were barely civil conversations and I grew tired of her anger and silence. She told me not long back that she had been single since breaking up with me. I hope someday she finds someone else who inspires her to write something as beautiful as this poem.

Summers Dreams Forgotten by Dana James-Parsons

Summers dreams forgotten
Lost to the damp and the grey
Solitary confinement in limbo
It looks like I'm here to stay
Longing for the light that guided me
Extinguished, seemingly dead
Still I grasp for hope
Knowing there is more to be said
I cannot believe this is the end
Foolish faith refuses to break
But the cold of winter pierces my heart
Because a lovers touch was forsake
An angel with broken wings
Evangeline left bloodied to weep
Only one man knows how to fix me
And he refuses to speak
So lost in the pain and the darkness
I sit, wait and pray
For the arms I love to embrace me
And the forgiving warm light of day

No comments: