Thursday, November 03, 2005

Back To The Bakery

Well, the Cake Shop at any rate (which is in the same part of the store). Started work at 8am today and was told that from 10am, I would be going back downstairs to help out the Cake Shop for a few hours as they (meaning Jeannette who was on her own) were struggling. The reason for this being that the supervisor down there left work early on Monday, after getting a phone call to tell him that his son had died in motorbike accident. He has not been back in work since. Now, I can't stand my old supervisor (and the feeling is mutual), but no-one deserves that. No parent should have to bury their children.

So I'll be honest, I had mixed feelings about this. On the plus side, I'd get to work with Jeannette again, which is always fun and I'd get to make the cakes. On the downside, I'd have to do prep work, wear that apron and cap, and I wouldn't be in the nice air conditioned office. It was an odd feeling putting the apron and cap back on, though I have never liked them, at least before they felt right. Not now, I felt uncomfortable the whole time I was in them. I've been gone a month, and I might as well have been gone a lifetime.

I felt very out of place, I kept forgetting what I should be doing, when just four weeks ago, I could have done the job in my sleep (and have done so, if you count dreams). I didn't even enjoy making the cakes, or filling the buckets with shortbreads, brownies and the like. The whole experience was surreal, and I joked with Jeannette that the past month could have all been a dream, a la Bobby Ewing in Dallas.

Thankfully I managed to escape back to the Admin office at 3pm and I spent the last two hours happily tapping order pads into the system as well as printing out the various departmental weekly paperwork packs (Morrisons supermarkets LOVE paperwork). I am on occasion stuck up there with little to do, but I feel a lot more at ease up there now, than I ever did in the Cake Shop.

No comments: