Friday, December 16, 2005

Old Tapes

I was going to put on my Winamp this evening when I thought I'd listen too something a bit different than my usual mp3's instead. So I brought my portable stereo into my room (it normally lives in the kitchen), and dug out my old tapes. These are compilations of songs that I taped off the radio and other cassettes back in my youth. I have a half dozen or so of these and I've been taking a trip down memory lane listening to some of these songs.

To be sure, a lot of them I have on mp3, my musical tastes haven't changed that much over the years, I liked those songs growing up, I like them now just as much. But even the songs I have on mp3 sound really different on cassette. And then there are songs I haven't heard in a decade or more, some of which after hearing them again I am profoundly glad that I've not heard them in ages, others though that I'll likely download on mp3, such as Fool For Love by Belinda Carlisle, Stand Up For Your Love Rights by Yazz, and Hanky Panky by Madonna.

It has been quite an experience hearing these old tunes again, and I'm glad I held onto these tapes now, as they were going to go in the bin a few years ago, during a clear out of my stuff.

No comments: