Saturday, December 31, 2005

All Dressed Up With No Place To Go

I'm not going out tonight. I know it's New Year's Eve, and everyone I know is going out somewhere, and I'd like to be out at the Market House to see in the New Year on the dancefloor. But I'm stony broke, okay not completely skint, but certainly strapped for cash. And since every pub on this night sells tickets to get in, so as to limit the queues (and rake in extra money!), and I can't afford a ticket and drinks once I got inside, I've decided to stay at home. Alone.

Both Tony and Gareth are out. I think they are both at Henry's pub, which has the finest spirit rack of any pub I've ever seen, and is up at the top end of the High Street. I hope they have a great time. I'm going to have a party of one. So I've showered and put on fresh, smart clothes (including the nice shirt that was bought me for my sisters wedding, which never went ahead, and so thus it became a Xmas present). I've dabbed on aftershave, and after a few minutes spent looking at myself in the mirror, even sorta convinced myself that I look okay.

I spent what money I had to buy a bottle of vodka, a large carton of fresh orange juice, a big bottle of lemonade, a bag of ice cubes and a tin of pineapple chunks in juice. Combined together they make a very nice fruit punch, and I have a large glass jug to do the mixing in. I also bought cheese Dorito's and hot salsa dip to dunk them in. Not sure what I will do for entertainment though, probably watch a DVD or two.

Next year I must ensure that I budget for the end of the year, so I'm not left by myself again. Whoever and whereever you are, here's wishing you a Happy New Year. I'll be hoping that 2006 will be kinder to me than 2005 has been (and that my ticket for tonights lottery wins the jackpot of course!)

No comments: