Friday, December 16, 2005

King Kong: A Movie Review

Okay to start this off I feel that it is important to state that I hate King Kong. Not this movie, no no, I mean the original 1933 black and white version. I've watched it a couple times and I think it is crap. It is held up to be this amazing film, and I honestly cannot understand why. That said, I do like the remake of it that was made in the 70's, as while it was a mess of a film, it was at least in colour. I detest black and white as a medium, the world isn't monochromatic, so making a film or taking a photograph that is, to me robs that image of any semblance of reality. It pushes my suspension of belief past breaking point.

I was stoked to watch this film though, from the moment I heard that it was going to be made. You see, I've read the book of King Kong, and the story is dynamite. And it was being made by Peter Jackson, who has already proved with his Lord of the Rings trilogy, that he is a director who can bring books to life on the big screen in spectacular fashion. And of course it would be in colour! I had the day off work today, and had pegged today as Kong Day for the past couple weeks. So I walked to the cinema (a trip of about 2 miles) to see the 3pm showing, as it wouldn't be too busy, and since I had to walk back home afterwards, I wanted the showing to be reasonably early.

I got there in plenty of time, watched the adverts and the trailers (including the awesome teaser for Superman Returns), and then sat and watched 3 hours of one of the best films I've ever seen. I had some doubts going in, most of which revolved around Jack Black, a man I regard as being utterly talentless. His music (if you can call the noise that Tenacious D produces that) is terrible and in the couple films he's been in that I've seen, he was easily the worst thing in them. He is still the worst thing in this film. His character is Carl Denham, a desperate movie maker who carries people with him on his doomed expedition, through lies and hollow promises. Which wouldn't be a problem, only Black's portrayal of him is completely unconvincing. He has zero charisma and it baffles me why the other characters on the ship go along with him.

Naomi Watts though is just stunning in this, perfectly cast as the object of Kong's affections, her Ann Darrow is a vision. I will have to see what other films she is in, because she is superb in this. Also she spends a good chunk of the film in a silk nightie which is very easy on the eyes!

Adrian Brody is great as Jack Driscoll the playwright who get stuck on the ship, when it leaves port (to escape the police who are after Denham), and who falls for Ann on the voyage (she being a huge fan of his plays, the attraction is mutual). I loved seeing him typing in his cage (not enough cabins, so he has to bunk down in one of the animal cages in the hold... sharing space with a huge supply of chloroform! He risks everything to rescue Ann from the jungles.

The other characters are well done, everyone gets their moment to shine, from the various members of the motley crew of the Venture (the ship Denham hires to take them to Skull Island), especially the Captain who quickly figures out that Denham is up to no good to the lead actor in the film Denham is shooting, who papers his cabin with posters of his big action films, yet he himself is a coward. Brilliant!

The SFX are top notch, which is hardly surprising since they are done by WETA, who have replaced ILM as the best effects studio in recent years with the successes of the Rings trilogy, Narnia and now Kong too. The big ape is very believable, really, truly well done, and it will be a crime if this movie doesn't take the Oscar for visual effects. Being a complete aracnophobe, the sequence in the "Bug Canyon" genuinely made me cringe, as the fight between Kong and a trio of T-Rexes had me shifting in my chair, as though I could dodge the snapping jaws and raking talons that filled the screen.

King Kong gets a solid 5/5 from me, as even with the abysmal presence of Jack Black, he thankfully can't ruin the film (though annoyingly he does get the last line). I'll be getting this one on DVD when it comes out for sure, and hopefully there's extra footage lying around somewhere that they can use to make a Director's Cut version, as while the film is long, it is beautiful, and thus for me at least, not quite long enough.

No comments: