Sunday, January 22, 2006

Why I Left

Last night close to a dozen of my friends saw me get up and leave a showing of Underworld: Evolution at the local cinema. I've never walked out of a film before and I didn't walk out of this one voluntarily. I was feeling sick. I had been feeling queasy through quite a lot of the day, owing to a series of minor headaches that came and went. The walk down to the cinema did wonders for my stomach, settling it to the extent that I felt safe in eating at the McDonalds near the cinema.

I was enjoying the film. I liked the first one and the sequel was doing a good job of following the dangling plot threads left over at the end of the original and expanding upon them. I will doubtless buy it on DVD (along with the original) when it comes out and finish watching it then. It was the films' rock video style of cinematography that got me though, the rapid cutting between different camera angles, the flashes and such, that brought my headache back with a vengeance. That was what caused the hasty exit, and I barely made it to the loo's in time.

I came back in to get my coat and then walked home. I could have come back in, sat down and watched the film. But I didn't know if I would be sick again (not having anything in my stomach to be sick with has never stopped my body before). So I walked home by myself, and that seemed to do the trick again, much as the walk down there had done. Illness aside it was a good night out, just a shame it ended how it did.

No comments: