Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Kazaaarrrgghhhh

I've just re-installed a program that in the past I have gotten a lot of us out of. The program is by a company called Sharman Networks, and is called KaZaA. It is a Peer-2-Peer network, much like Napster began life as. I use it to hunt down pdf files and mp3's mostly, and occasionally a video file of an american tv show. I've not had it installed in quite some time, as the last time I had it active, it kept messing up what files it was allowed to access for the purposes of sharing, meaning that I was sharing EVERY file on my PC with the whole world. Not a clever idea!

As I was unable to solve the problem, I simply got rid of the software and did without it for a time, whilst hoping that the problem would be fixed in the next update to the program. So it is back installed again, and as I lacked the $29.99 to buy the ad-free version, mine has the plug-in adverts. But, on the plus side, the problem I had before with KaZaA seems to have been fixed.

Only for an entirely new problem to crop up, namely that the program keeps turning itself off for some reason. I think I've figured out what is causing it (the "search for more sources to download from" command), so I'm refraining from using that for the moment. But that also means that downloading is slow. And slow downloads on a 2mb broadband connection is just annoying. I'm a bit stressed now (though not from work, today simply flew past, it was almost a blur the shift went so quick), so I'll see if I can figure out what setting to adjust to solve this problem in the morning.

No comments: