Thursday, January 12, 2006

A Mission Improbable

Today I overheard an interesting conversation between a couple people, namely my good friends Jeannette Poole (I really need to do a Rogues Gallery entry for her someday), and Richard Adams in the staff canteen at work today, whilst I was on my hour break. They were discussing ways to distract Jeannette's friend Lyndsey, as she has apparently gotten rather possessive of late. Jeannette's chosen solution to this problem was to find her friend a partner, and thus divert her possessive streak onto whatever individual she could get to go out with her.

The problem with this is that Lyndsey.... isn't terribly likeable. I'd class my relationship with her as "the best of enemies", we cannot stand one another, and yet at times oddly enough we can be perfectly civil to each other (usually when there are no witnesses). Most of this is down to a major clash of personalities, Lyndsey is very bossy and authoritative, she is loud and has a very in-your-face kind of attitude to most things (especially if things are not getting done the way she wants them done!). I'm a lot more laid back, I'm quiet, I rarely ever raise my voice even when arguing with people, as I find simply talking through an argument, undermines any amount of ranting and raging that an opponent throws at me.

So I had to laugh listening to the pair of them going through a list of possible candidates for the post of boyfriend (none of which I'm going to name. I might not be sworn to silence on the matter, but Richard is bigger than me, and Jeannette is far more devious!). I did ask why Jeannette doesn't just tell her friend to stop crowding her, but apparently that isn't an option. And so rather than a simple (if blunt) solution to the problem, she is faced with not a Mission Impossible (as Lyndsey has had boyfriends before apparently), but a Mission Improbable, as I don't think she knows anyone who knows Lyndsey who would be willing to date her. Still, best of luck trying!

No comments: