Sunday, January 29, 2006

Adventures In The Land Of Zzzzz: Part Two

Tonight was the second week of stocktaking, for the supermarket I work at (Morrisons in case you didn't already know). It went better than last week that is for sure, although the management sounded every bit as stressed as they were last Sunday! There were a lot more people doing the work this time, and as a load of us were there last week too, we knew what to expect and - roughly - what to do.

The procedure was the same as last time, which is to say long winded with multiple checks on everything. Even so (and despite us having a far larger chunk of the store to cover than last week), it seemed to go a lot smoother. We didn't finish any quicker than last time really, but it seemed easier. At least it did too me.

I didn't do stocktake all night though. I got out of that by helping the Home & Leisure Manager (Roxanna Wade) re-organise the seasonal aisle, as from tomorrow the store is starting to sell its spring range (yes I know it is January, but apparently the people in charge don't), of gardening supplies like compost, small tools and various forms of fertiliser (all of which seem to be made from ingredients like bone and blood. I hadn't realised gardening was so bloodthirsty!)

This took a couple hours to take everything off the shelves, rearrange the layout of the shelves themselves (including adding in another we had to fetch from the warehouse), and then putting everything (plus all the new sstock too) back onto the shelves, neat and tidy.

I'm not as stressed out as I was last Sunday night, and so the title of this post isn't really that appropriate (but then neither was it last time either, as despite feeling shattered last week, I didn't sleep a wink that night). I have no idea whether I'll get any sleep tonight, but as I'm not back in work until lunchtime Wednesday, I likely won't be putting my head on a pillow for a few hours yet.

No comments: