Saturday, January 14, 2006

Time For Some Time Off

Not from writing this blog though, no I enjoy this outlet for too much to give it up. I'm referring to me being on holiday for the next week, using up almost the last of my holiday entitlement for this year (just 2 days worth left, think I'll book them off in March). I lacked the money to do my usual holiday treat buying habit, so I'll live off what I have in my cupboards and the freezer for the week. I'll likely make a trip to Tesco in a few days for bread, milk and stuff to put in sandwiches (most likely Corned Beef, Ham from the Deli counter, or a can of Pink Salmon).

I have a couple things planned though. As I write this Tony is busily downloading the new episodes that showed in the states last night of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica. so there will be quality television to watch in a while. I still have a half dozen cans of Fosters left too! Tomorrow night a large group of Morrisons employees are going to the local 10 pin bowling alley (The Hollywood Bowl), for a competition. So I'm going along with them. I have no idea what team I am in, but I'm sure I'll find out once I get there.

On Monday it will be my 30th birthday, and I lack the funds to "celebrate" in the style I have for the past few years. Namely I have vanished to the cinema for the day and watched movies back to back, or in my own words "I spend the day in any world but this one". But this year I'm skint, so that's not an option. and as I've been told by a few friends, a 30th birthday is special and should be celebrated. So my Mum has booked a table at the Mandarin chinese restaurant for the evening, and a good sized group of my friends have been invited. It is a good restaurant, I've eaten in there several times before and I'm looking forward to that night out.

Lastly unlike most holidays where I spend the time lounging around and doing nothing, I have something to do this time. A home study course in Proofreading and Copy Editing. I bought it a few years back, andI got most of the way through it before giving up. Here's hoping second time around will be the charm, because if I can pass it, I can go freelance as a proofreader, earn 3-4 times what I do now, work from home (no more fucking awful uniform!), and clear my debts. I am sick and tired of my answer to everything being "I don't have the money".

Holiday? Not bloody likely. I have the means and the brains to get myself out of this rut I've been in for far too long. People talk about a mid life crisis, mines been building for years and I'm taking it early. As an added motivation I'm setting myself a reward. If I can get myself out of debt by July 2008, then in 2009 I will take a 3 month vacation and go off and tour the world for a bit. There are many many people and places I want to meet and visit in the world. My reward to myself will be one hell of a holiday to make up for all the ones I'm gonna be working through until then. Wish me luck!

No comments: