Sunday, October 23, 2005

A Shocking Night

It's been a day since I went out, I think I'm more in the right mood to write about last night now. For starters I'm not as angry as I was walking home. I went out and walked in same as I normally do, only the place was different than usual. It was full of blokes, and I do mean full. At a rough guess, I'd say there was at least 3 guys for every girl in the place. It took more than 15 minutes just to get my first drink, though getting served did get easier as the night went on thankfully.

I made my way to the dancefloor and stood at the side there, overlooking the pit, and drinking my drink. Only because the place was so full, no-one was dancing... they couldn't because the floor was packed with people stood about drinking. I wasn't the only one annoyed at this turn of events either, there were plenty of people stood on the fringes of the floor, looking pissed off cos they wanted to move to the music and lacked any space to do so.

So when the crowd started to thin out, as people headed off to other pubs and clubs, there was room to move, so the dancefloor cleared right? Wrong. Cos the group of guys stood there, were drunk out of their skulls and quite happy to simply stand and get more drunk, and hassle the female staff as they tried to go about collecting glasses and bottles from tables. They eventually left, leaving the dancefloor strewn in broken glass. Since nobody else seemed to want to do anything about this, I mentioned it to the DJ, who got one of the bar staff to sweep it up. Just seeing the dancefloor wet brought back nasty memories of my breaking my wrist on such a dancefloor a few years back because of a slip.

So then there was dancing, and the music was good, it was 80's music, and not the bad songs either. Sure, there were a few clunkers, but only a few. And I found myself dancing with a truly gorgeous pair of women, one a slim girl dressed in black with long straight black hair and pale skin, the other with curly brown hair, a perpetual smile and a chest that should be registered as a deadly weapon. And we were getting on well, smiling, flirting, dancing, oblivious to everyone else, so when there was a brief lull between songs and they went to their table to sip their drinks, I followed and seeing they were almost out of their drinks, offered to buy them new ones.

Big mistake. What I took to be a genuine offer, they took offense at, the slim dark girl (never did get either of their names), hissing that she was almost date raped once, and the pair then storming off. I was and still am stunned. Granted, I'm not the most handsome guy out there, I have no illusions about that. But to be basically accused of having to try and drug a girl to have sex with her... I was just lost for words. I actually thought girls appreciated having a drink bought for them. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I left earlier than normal, and I don't recall walking home but I did. Due to late shifts and lack of funds I won't be going out for a few weeks if not longer. Somehow, I don't think I'm going to miss my Saturday nights out quite as much as I thought I would.

No comments: