Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Ahhh Boredom, We Meet Again!

Worked my first closedown shift on the Admin dept tonight, starting at 12 noon and finishing at 9pm. Well okay not my first such shift, but this was my first solo closedown. And it started off well, plenty of work to do, tapping order pads and stock counts into the computers. Only all of that was done by 5:30, and I do mean ALL of it. Even all of my breaktime was gone, as I had to have it early or lose out on it altogether, as there was nobody to cover for me for the rest of the shift.

I knew that come 8pm there would be plenty to do... it was the two and a half hour interim that was truly diabolical. I don't think I have ever been so bored in all my life. I would have read a book, only I had left it in my locker... at the other end of the store, and I could not leave the office, because I had to man the switchboard (not that barely anyone phoned). I would have written something, heck the D&D movie review I posted here was mostly written at work, only I got stuck on what to write.

I snatched what conversation I could, with the few brief visits other members of staff made to the office. But for the most part it was me, alone, in an office, with nothing to do for a couple hours. I couldn't even use the computers to surf the net, the company computers are locked up tight, with only work related programs installed on them. Don't get me wrong, I like my new dept, but it is a lot better when there are others around to talk with. Still, the next time I have a closedown, I'll go prepared!

No comments: