Monday, October 03, 2005

The Eighth Reindeer

In work today, myself and Jeannette were talking about something or other and I mentioned a news article I had read on the BBC News website last week, wherein the Danish air force had paid out a settlement to Santa Claus for accidentally killing one of his reindeer. Read the article, it's a hoot!

Anyway, this got us thinking (it really doesn't take much to set me and Jeannette off on a thinking tangent, and weirdness usually ensues), as to what were the names of the reindeer. Now by this we mean the eight reindeer from the classic "Twas the night before Christmas" poem, NOT Rudolph!! And could we name them all? Could we hell!!

We got the easy ones, Donner and Blitzen, Prancer and Dancer. Everyone knows them, and then our progress well it kinda died. Jeannette took to mumbling her way through the poem in an effort to tease the other names out of her brain. I took to thinking through the times I've watched Santa Claus the Movie, the Robbie the Reindeer (no he isn't one of the eight either) cartoons and other sources to try and effect the same. So we got another three, namely Comet, Cupid and Dasher, who were duly remembered and noted down (yes we had taken to noting them down, because everyone we asked what the names could be, always recited the ones we already had).

But we just couldn't figure out what the eighth one was called. Now that I am home, I have Google. and I just looked up Twas the Night Before Christmas (by Clement Clarke Moore), and the answer is Vixen!! And I'm kicking myself now, cos well, that was bloody obvious

1 comment:

Brakkart said...

You must have mumbled it then, because I clearly heard Blitzen and we already had that one by then.