Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Taunton Tour: The Market House


Well I did indeed go out and take a few photos of places in Taunton yesterday. Took about half a dozen in all, but only half of them turned out that great. The sky was a bit overcast, which led to some colour distortion (for instance the Market House here isn't really that dark a shade of red). Anyway, enough of my technical difficulties on with the article!

This building is the Market House and it sits right smack in the centre of town. The pub that I sometimes frequent on a Saturday night (though not for a couple months now owing to a lack of funds), is on the ground floor and is entered through that big door in front there. The building also houses a dance hall on the 1st floor and offices for at least two companies, which are accessed via other doors in the sides and rear of the building.

It used to sit in the middle of a surrounding road, but when the town centre was revamped several years back, they pedestrianised the road behind it, and moved the traffic flow to go around a roundabout in front of the building (just out of shot to the left of the picture).

The one thing that strikes me every time I look at this building is how similar it looks to the Town Hall building in the Back to the Future movies. You know, the one whose clock was stopped by a lightning strike in 1955 which is where Marty McFly ends up in the Delorean and that same lightning strike is used to power the time machine return to the future. Every time I look at this building, I can easily picture Doc Emmet Brown connecting the cables up, so that the 1.21 gigawatts of power can reach the cable strung across the road beside the building. Having said that, it's been a while since I watched those movies, so could just be my imagination playing a trick on me.

No comments: