Saturday, March 18, 2006

Super Strength

I was browsing the BBC News website a few moments ago and I came across an article that both caught my attention, made my eyes open and brought a genuine "Wow" from my lips. Here, have a read! To say that this development could change the world, is I think a gross understatement.

Whilst this could lead to a whole new generation of better prosthetic limbs being developed (and it likely will), my foremost thought is that it will inevitably be used for military purposes. The Japanese can already build human sized robots. Combine that technology with this (and someone will do just that), and you get robots that are 100 times stronger than humans! Granted it will take maybe 20 years for that to happen, but think of all the other technologies that will be developed and/or refined in that time and could also be incoporated.

I don't think it is pessimistic to conceive of a robotic super soldier. Human sized, possessing super-strength, no moral quandries, able to see at night, and have access to GPS to allow for more accurate aiming of weapons and deployment. I also don't think it is pessimistic to think of seeing these things in armies (almost certainly beginning with the US Armed Forces) well within my own lifetime. I just hope that whoever they get to program these things, have first been forced to sit and watch a large number of sci-fi movies where robots we build end up enslaving/killing humanity first... especially the Terminator movies!

No comments: