Saturday, April 08, 2006

Two Pints And A Packet Of Peanuts

Well I was going to spend tonight indoors, most likely with a good DVD and the tear 'n' share jalapeno bread thing I bought from work today. As it turned out that wasn't what happened, as Gareth gave me a buzz on MSN (don't ask me why he didn't just yell up the stairs, I don't know) to ask if I wanted to join him on an excursion to Henry's pub to meet my mates Dan Shapter and Matt Cheetham there.

It took me... ohh maybe a second, to decide "what the hell" and agree to tag along. Evidently Gareth had also contacted Tony in a similar manner and so all three of us set out to the pub, which is a very short walk from the house we share. On the way Tony suggested we go in through the back door to which Gareth responded "What back door?" Seems that despite frequenting Henry's for many years now, Gareth was unaware of the rear entrance to the building (which is even signposted from the car park out back).

So we resolved to show him this doorway, only to be stymied by it being locked and thus we had to trudge around the front. Still, Gareth is now aware that the pub does indeed have a back door, so we claim a small victory for that sake. Henry's was packed as it always is on a Saturday night, but upstairs the pool tables were not so busy and so once we had drinks in hand (a pint of Extra Cold Guiness for myself) we duly claimed a couple of them.

While Matt played Dan, I took on Gareth in a long and drawn out game (neither of us are really any good at pool at all), which resulted in me winning by virtue of Gareth potting the black early. Handing the second table over to another group who'd showed up, I sat and supped my pint and chatted for a while, before Matt vanished for a bit and Dan played Gareth. Finishing my pint I went back downstairs and bought a bottle of Brahma lager and a pack of peanuts (dry roasted of course!) and returned upstairs in time to see Dan defeat Gareth and want another victim... I mean opponent.

I gamely stepped up and while I'd like to be able to type that I beat him, needless to say I didn't! With Tony not interested in playing, and having beaten everyone Dan adjorned to the bar to get a new drink and I played Gareth again, with the same result as before. A long drawn out game with me winning because of him potting the black ball early (actually he potted it twice this time, but we caught it the first time and continued the game anyway). Deciding that his luck was in rotten form and that it was best to quit while behind, Gareth made to leave.

Not really having the money to spare, to stay longer, I decided to head home as well as did Tony. We stopped in Tuckers cafe on the way back for me to grab a cheeseburger and Tony to pick up Doner meat & chips. Mmmm grease! So that was my Saturday night. I'm sat here now typing this and listening to classic 80's rock. Goodnight World!

No comments: