Thursday, April 13, 2006

One Less Sibling

Up until today, if anyone had asked if I have any brothers and sisters, I'd have told them that yes, I had one of each, both younger than myself. Not so anymore. I no longer consider myself to have a sister. Ohh she's not dead or anything, she just seems to prefer that I not exist. Far be it for me to not return the favour.

To be honest, this has been a while coming now and the signs were obvious months back, if not even longer ago. I've never really gotten on with her and certainly not for years now. She has always been more my brothers sibling than mine. I've been fine with that, everyone has their favourites after all. The writing was really on the wall back in the autumn though. I didn't have the money to get her a birthday present and was told not to bother about it, as she'd never gotten me one. Which to be honest I had forgotten about.

So then I asked what she'd like for Xmas. Mum suggested I pay something towards her holiday to Cyprus this year (to attend a friends wedding), and simply give her a card on Xmas Day itself. This struck me as a great idea. But then I was told that as she wouldn't have the money to buy me a present, not to do so. Fair enough I thought and I respected that. So imagine my surprise come Xmas Day when she not only buys everyone else in the family a present, she buys them two. I'd like to say I wasn't hurt by that, but I'd be lying.

So today I was told not to bother buying her an Easter Egg, because she wouldn't be buying me one and would rather not have anything more to do with me. This information was relayed to me by my Mum. I can't say that the news came as a surprise given her past actions. Still, it's not everyday you lose a member of your family. But then I don't regard this as a loss.

No comments: