Thursday, August 31, 2006

One Year On

So a year ago today I got the idea of starting a blog, after reading through my friend Nyssa's blog that she was writing at the time. I've since lost contact with her and she's not writing it anymore, but to my great surprise, one year on and here I am still going with mine. Frankly this kinda stuns me because while I am very good at starting things (or thinking of things to start) I'm usually pretty rubbish at carrying on with them (or actually starting them in a lot of cases, particularly when it comes to exercise regimes).

At the time of writing this I have 333 posts (including this one and 2 drafts waiting for me to complete & post them), so I've not managed to write every day like I originally intended. In fact the last couple weeks have seen very few posts, mostly owing to a bout of a weird sleepy sickness that has seen me drinking a truly criminal amount of coffee in order to stay awake for half the day. Still I am happy with how much I have gotten posted here so far. Oh yes, that is a definite so far there, because I've got no intention of ceasing to write this. I find writing here to be therapeutic.

So what have I gotten done in the past year then? I've finished my Rise of the Snakemen D&D (that's Dungeons & Dragons to those not in the know) campaign, which had run for nearly 2 years and is by far and away the most successful campaign I've ever run. So I'm quite proud of that, it says something when my players have enjoyed playing their characters so much that they all asked to continue with them rather than start a new campaign. I've sold off a load of old toys and books on ebay, the money from that though getting eaten up by bills that all seemed to arrive when they knew I had funds to pay them!

I took my first real holiday in 8 years, and the first ever where I went alone, which was a good experience overall. I've been conned at least twice and so a lesson I need to take on from that is that I need to be a bit less trusting in future. I have tried and tried and yet thus far failed to get myself a girlfriend, that is a work still in progress. I've put on weight.

I've made a few new friends and lost a sister. I was moved from my admin job which I liked back to the bakery. If anything I'm earning less now each week than I was when I started this blog, mainly owing to the lack of Sunday work. Despite having a New Years resolution to reduce the amount of debt I am in, I have if anything actually increased it, by restarting my bank loan back in June, meaning that I again have 5 years of monthly payments ahead of me, and my credit card remains maxed out.

All in all I think the past years bad experiences outweigh the good ones. I can but hope that the 06/07 blog year is going to be kinder to me than this past year has been. I will continue to document my existence (I don't consider it to be a life right now) here, both to amuse and entertain others and to help keep me this side of sane. Having a place to rant helps. Here's to the next twelve months.

No comments: