Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Malta Diary - Day Four (28/7/06)

9:35am - Well I went to the bar in the end, had a few drinks and thoroughly enjoyed myself singing along to 80's rock tunes. I've overslept now though, so need to head to Les Jardins for breakfast while they are still serving it!

12:05pm - I'm fed and have just picked up a bottle of cold water from the store across the road. Spent 2Lm on an internet voucher and have posted my first bday's worth of diary on the blog. Wrote up most of day two also and saved that to brief, as my time was about to run out. I was sat next to an italian bloke the whole time who was moaning about how slow the connection was on his PC. Mine was fine, but he was pissed because he couldn't access his bank account online. I managed to access my HSBC account without any problems. Guess he should switch to a better bank!

Pool now and I must remember to wear my sun hat when I'm sat reading as I have gotten sunburned on the top of my head now!

5:00pm - I've just spent the last few hours by the pool. As a result of having sunburn on my head, I decided to sit in the shade at the back of the poolside bar area. No-one else hardly sits in there anyway, and it was much cooler and more comfortable on the chairs there, than out on the sun loungers. I swam every now and then, but mostly I sat and read my book. I also got in a fair bit of women watching, particularly the exquisite brunette in a green bikini who was lounging nearby with her family. There are lots of very nice looking women here, a shame that they all seem to either be with their partners, their children or their parents. As near as I can tell, I'm the only single male in the hotel!

My eyes are stinging from the chlorine so I might well have a nap and then go out for an evening meal. I've also learned (much to my dismay) that there are no nightclubs or bars with dancefloors in Mellieha!

10:50pm - I've been sat out on the balcony for the past couple hours reading, after getting a truly wonderful dinner at the Al Ponte. Foccaccia for starters (very different from the foccaccia we are used too in the UK, which is quite a fluffy bread. This was flat and piled high with salad), and a sublime Irish Rib Eye Steak with chips (seasoned with paprika) and Gorgonzola sauce. Best meat I have ever eaten, the steak melted in my mouth . I might well have that again before coming home. Tomorrow I mean to catch an early bus to Valletta and go sight seeing. I'll take the camera as I can still get a few shots in its memory.

Got a letter from my travel rep who is called Amanda apparently. I've not seen hide nor hair of her yet. The letter contained leaving details (I need to be in the hotel lobby for 4am on Tuesday!) as well as a questionnaire, which can wait to be filled out. Sleep calls to me now.

No comments: