Sunday, July 02, 2006

A Long Week

At least it has seemed a lot longer than most weeks. This is mostly due to my colleague John Punch having the week off work on holiday, leaving me to run the Cake Shop dept all by myself. Well actually I say run the dept, but that isn't my job. I'm an assistant, not a supervisor or manager after all (and considering the shit that they get put through by the company I work for, I wouldn't want to be in charge). Still, I have had to do most of the work by myself, without a break.

My last day off was last Sunday, but thankfully I have just tomorrow to work and then I have 3 days opf rest to look forward too as John will be back then. So work has been stressful, what with the increased workload and also the heat. Ohhh the goddamned heat! We have a temperature gauge in the Cake Shop's corner of the bakery that has 3 tempreature zones marked on it, which are: Too Cold, Comfort Zone and Too Hot. Too Cold is defined as anything under 17 degrees celsius, while Too Hot is anything over 23 degrees. The needle has been tilted towards Too Hot all week, sometimes dipping several degrees into that zone (it was at 28 degrees when I left work at 4pm today for instance).

I'm overweight. I'm not proud of that and I wish I wasn't, but as things stand right now I am approximately 70lbs overweight. Combine that with the heat and the extra work and you can see why I've had a pretty stressful week. And that's without my manageress having a go at me at every possible opportunity. Which she has been. Granted some of it was likely deserved. I've not exactly been the model of industry this past week. I'm not sleeping well (again the heat doesn't help) even though I'm going to bed a lot earlier than usual. So I'm low on energy in general.

What gets me really is the lack of gratitude shown by my manageress this past week. She asked me (nicely for her) if I would be willing to work a 6 day week to cover John's absence. In hindsight I should have said no. Part of me knew that agreeing to what amounts to a favour would then be taken for granted, but dumb trusting me went and agreed anyway. That's one lesson learned. It's been a long hard week, but I've just got to survive tomorrow and then no more work until Friday... except cleaning the house that is, as we have an inspection by our landlady then! Ahh well, no rest for the wicked!

No comments: