Saturday, May 20, 2006

Eurovision 2006

I think it is the closet masochist in me that enjoys the Eurovision Song Contest each year. The biggest talent contest in the world is a real pot pourri of musical styles. This year was no exception but I can honestly say that I am surprised by who won. Typically the contest is usually always won by either a ballad, a very upbeat pop tune or a crap tune that has an amazing dance number to go with it.

This years winners though are Lordi, a Finnish rock band who dress up as monsters that are a cross between Klingons and Orcs! And their song Hard Rock Hallelujah is actually good! Still, watching Eurovision is only fun with Terry Wogans dry witty commentary and having someone to talk too about the contest (and have a laugh with at the expense of some acts). As Tony hates the contest and didn't want to watch it in his lounge upstairs, he set it up so I could watch it on my PC. So my partner in snarky commentary this evening, has been my ex-girlfriend, the lovely Dana James-Parsons, via MSN Messenger.

It's been fun chatting and enjoying some songs, cringing at others. The United Kingdom only got 25 points, mainly due to geographical voting by many countries (especially the eastern european & baltic states). Dana mentioned at one point when the voting was about halfway through, that we seem to be the only country that actually plays fair and votes for the best song, rather than the ones sung by your neighbours. I guess that this is a case of the letter of the rules defeating the spirit of the rules.

No comments: