Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Crunch Time

So after weeks of reading, learning, making notes and revising, it finally came down to this. Taking the exam in module eleven. I'll be honest, I was dreading doing that. I've not sat an exam since... ohh August 1997 when I had to go back to University for a weekend to do a re-sit exam. Of curse then I was sat in a large quiet exam hall, at a tiny table under the stern gaze of some professor type or other. Today I was curled up on the sofa in the lounge, feet up on the other cushion, with a mug of hot coffee. Was still quiet though, apart from a short shower that made the plastic roof of the conservatory at the back of the house rattle.

I haven't done the whole exam though. Not yet. The whole thing covers both Proofreading as well as Copy Editing. Now Proofreading I know well, that's really the easy part... well okay not easy per se, but certainly easier. Copy Editing is a lot more tricky. But the part of the exam that is purely Proofreading is done and dusted. For all my nerves about tackling the exam, when I actually sat down and got on with it, it felt really natural. I think I've done well.

I had to pause mid way through the exam to go out and get a dictionary though. I also felt in need of some fresh air. I should have bought a decent dictionary ages ago, back when I tried this course the first time really. But for whatever reason I didn't. So off to Waterstones I went and there I was confronted with a huge variety of dictionaries to choose from. Dozens of them, in all shapes and sizes... okay sizes, they are all pretty much book shaped! Should I go for a Complete Dictionary, a Concise Dictionary, a Dictionary/Theosaurus combination? The choice was a little intimidating, especially since by this time the store was closing in less than half an hour.

I settled on a Collins Essential English Dictionary, which set me back £11.99 for a nice sized hardback. While it is not as comprehensive as a Complete Dictionary would be, it is within my budget, whereas a £30+ book is not. With that in hand I made my way back to the house via the Market House pub which I haven't frequented since before Xmas. Stopped in there for a pint of lager and a pack of peanuts (dry roasted of course), before returning to the house and finishing the couple bits of the exam paper I wasn't sure on.

I need to have a good read through the Copy Editing paper before I attempt it, and the third module of the course too. Still, I am happy with my progress so far. Taking this course too quickly was what caused me to do poorly at it the first time around. A mistake I do not intend to repeat this time.

No comments: