Sunday, February 26, 2006

Attention To Detail

I've been spending a quiet day indoors relaxing and enjoying a day off work. I'd much rather the day off wasn't a Sunday as I prefer to work those, but rest is good regardless. I've spent the day listening to music, watching a bit of TV (and more later on, as a new series of "Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps" starts at 10pm on BBC3 tonight), but mostly painting miniatures.

This week I picked up my paintbrushes again, and have thus far managed to finish the following:

  • A pair of large Yuan-Ti Abominations (snakemen with large scimitars).
  • A pair of Chaos Warriors (humans in platemail armour with swords & shields).
  • An Elf Ranger with longbow.
  • A Elf Priestess with twin whips.
  • A Dwarf Warrior with axe, shield and crossbow, which is to represent Matt's character Jebodiah Bugman at my Friday night D&D games.
I am also working on, but have not yet finished (and in fact have barely started on some of these):

  • A Lich (skeletal wizard).
  • A Human Necromancer/Wearer of Purple. Intended as a villain model for my D&D game.
  • 6 more Chaos Warriors including a drummer. When done I'll have a regiment of 16 of these, complete with drummer, standard bearer and leader.
  • A Kajira (slavegirl).
  • A Dwarf Wizard.
  • A Dracolich (undead dragon).
I've also done more work on the massive model Tarrasque that I've been working on for ages now. Still a long way to go before that is finished, though all but one of its limbs is now assembled and stuck to the torso. Just got the last leg to fill with Plaster of Paris (so as to counteract the weight of the body and help the assembled creature to stand upright), and then trim the joint to fit the bulk of the figure, before sticking it together. I've also got to make its giant horns and attach those to either side of its head, for whch I have a quantity of modelling putty to mould them out of.

Normally I'd have spent my day off studying and revising my course, which is what I did on Friday followed by taking the second course exam which covered Copy Editing. I had been dreading this one, as Copy Editing is a lot trickier than just Proofreading alone, but it wasn't as hard as I had feared it might be, and I think I've done really well. I won't know for sure for a while yet, as I now need to mail off the papers to the publishing company to get them graded. I plan on getting them photocopied first, just so I have a record in case they get lost in the post or some such thing.

I thought the title of this post to be fitting, as paying attention to detail is going to be paramount from now on in both my hobby (figure painting) as well as the professional work I aspire to do (Freelance Proofreading).

No comments: