Saturday, September 16, 2006

Pub Lunch

I have today off work. This is a rare occurence, in fact I cannot remember the last time I had a Saturday off work, that wasn't due to me being off on holiday. Every Saturday lunchtime a bunch of my friends have for moths now been meeting up at Henry's pub in the High Street for a meal and a pint and to chat for an hour or so. I normally miss out on this, as while I have a lunch hour at work, there's no way I'm going to walk all the way up there, order a meal, have it arrive and get the time to enjoy eating it, plus get back to work i that hour. Ain't going to happen!

So it was nice to be able to be there today. I was the first to arrive too, though Gareth turned up a couple minutes later. We were also swiftly joined by my mate Derek Adams. The three of us got our drinks and Gareth and I ordered food and we went upstairs to sit. I had wanted a bottle of Strongbow Sirrus, a mild cider that I've become quite fond of recently. Unfortunately the pub has stopped stocking it, so I tried a bottle of Magner's cider instead. According to my brother this stuff sells like crazy at the warehouse he works at. After trying a bottle I can't see why, it doesn't taste of much at all. I was left very unimpressed.

For a meal Gareth ordered what he always orders (Gammon steak with chips and egg), and I went with my usual meal also (Giant Yorkshire Pudding filled with sausages, garden peas, mashed potato and gravy). I also tried a side order of mushrooms, but I don't think I'll bother with them again. I don't have the same meal because of lack of choice, Henry's has a very good menu with plenty of variety on it, I just know what I like and when I'm short on money I'd rather spend it on food tat I know I am going to enjoy.

We were eventually also joined by Tony and Craig, a smaller group than is usually present, but then both Dan and Richard were in work, whlst Jen and Matt are having a quiet weekend to themselves. We chatted about all sorts of things as usual, with no single topic dominating, though I think the LARP group that the others attended recently being cancelled was the longest we spent talking about anything. It was a nice lunch, made better by us having the upstairs to ourselves for the most part. I finally left not long after Gareth went back to work, as I wanted to browse around a few shops in town. Didn't buy anything (though I was tempted to get the Directors Cut of Hellboy for just £6.97 in Music Zone). All in all a nice way to spend some of the day.

No comments: