Monday, January 16, 2006

Thirty Today

I turn thirty years old today. Not quite yet though, officially I hit that milestone at about 4:20pm, so I have over an hour before I end my third decade and begin my fourth. I woke up late today and as I type this I'm sat in my bathrobe because I've not been bothered to get dressed as yet. Just had a video chat with my mate Jon Wright (who lives across town), as he offered to pay for a trip to the cinema for the pair of us. Alas after looking at the films availiable to see the only one that I was interested in that I've not already seen was The Producers, and that had just the one showing at 12:15pm, so we'd missed it. Nice of you to offer though Jon.

Other than the meal this evening I have nothing planned for the day. I went to bed at about 5am this morning, after hanging out in online Gor for a few hours. Yes I know I said I'd quit it, but this was a birthday treat of a sort to myself, in which I brought my first character that I played online out of retirement for a cameo appearance. That character is Karne, a 6'7" Torvaldslander (Viking) Blacksmith, who likes to wander. He doesn't remember why he started wandering, he isn't exactly blessed with brains, but he has a fierce sense of wanderlust.

He is a fun character to play (especially as he has a habit of bashing his head on doorframes and ceilings) and he is far from being the sharpest tool in the shed. On the flip side he is a big bloke, with arms as thick as most peoples thighs, big calloused hands and he carries a sledgehammer as his weapon, which is pretty unusual on Gor. Not that he likes to fight, but he does like an ale or twenty and being drunk can lead to a scrap.

I might wander about with him a bit more, as I've got a few hours to kill until I need to shower and shave and all that jazz, and then head on down to the Mandarin. I'm told there will be 10 of us for the birthday meal, which is the most people I've been around on my birthday since my 21st when my mates at University did their level best to kill me (I got alcohol poisoning as a result, was in bed very sick for 2 days afterwards). Not a night I'll forget in a hurry.

No comments: